Monday, January 1, 2007

So... I'm a Michigan Apprentice?

I found out about the Michigan Apprentice a few different ways. The first exposure to the program was through the Michigan Daily- I tore out the ad from the newspaper to remind myself to apply. A few days later, I received a forwarded e-mail about the Michigan Apprentice (MA) from a friend who said that when she read about this opportunity, my name came to mind.

And thus the application process began. After the entries were reviewed by the alumni association and the alums who volunteered to participate in the program, the finalists were announced. I was so excited to have been selected as a finalists but knew that an interview and campaigning for online votes lay ahead of me. The interview went very well, mainly because Kathleen and Kathy at the Alumni Association were so easy to talk to. After harassing my friends and their friends to vote online, the winners were finally announced.

When I opened the e-mail announcing the winners, I was so excited I ran into one of my housemates' rooms and jumped on her bed, waking her up. After she mumbled a semi-coherent "congratulations" I got off her bed and made the obligatory phone calls. Needless to say, I was excited about the opportunity to travel to Minneapolis to spend the day with the VP of Marketing and a Buyer for Target's hosiery and accessories department.

Now that you know a little about how I got here, here's a little bit about who I am:

I'm a junior at the U, double majoring in Psychology and Communication Studies with an interest in pursuing marketing/advertising in the future. What draws me to the field is the creativity it demands and the ever-changing nature of the industry. Advertising has a huge effect on its audience, and I'd like to be a part of that sometime soon. Aside from my academic interests, i'm a big fan of photography, my friends and family, humor, cooking, coffee, being crazy with my housemates, and loving living in Ann Arbor.

The next step in the MA experience will be planning the trip to Minneapolis, and I couldn't be more excited! Stay tuned for details on the trip!

~Marina

No comments: